*****I HAVE MOVED!*****
*****Find me here: sarahannrogers.com*****

Welcome! I'm so glad you've found your way here and hope you enjoy your time connecting.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Anti-Resolutions


I'm not big on New Year's resolutions.  Mostly, this is because I'm already such a list maker, and I already have enough on the one titled "To-Do."
This year, instead, I have a few things I'd like to focus on not doing.  Intentionality is often the only way I remember these things, and I consistently have to remind myself of them.

2012 - The Not To Do List:

Worthless Words
This includes gossip, over-complaining, and being discouraging.  Sometimes I forget the power that God has given our words, and I allow things to come out of my mouth that I don't even mean.  Knowing that my words have life and death helps put things in perspective.  I only want words of life coming out of me.

Self-Promotion
It's such an ever present part of our flesh.  The desire for approval, for popularity, for success.  Yet the more I seek those things, the farther I am drawn away from the presence of God.  Often, I don't even realize when my motives are selfish because it's so natural to think this way.  I desperately desire to stop all comparisons and frustrations when things don't go my way.  I want my confidence to come from God, and I want to be just as happy for others as I would be for myself - all of the time.

Procrastination
This has nothing to do with making sure I do that craft from Pinterest ASAP (though, I would like to just sit down and make something I've just pinned right after pinning it).  It has more to do with people. I don't want the people I encounter to slip through the cracks of my life unnoticed.  I want to have the presence of mind to contact somebody as soon as they come to mind - ask how they are, see if there's a need to pray for, or just send an encouraging note.  There is hardly ever a consequence for doing this, but there could be unknown consequences if I don't.

• • •

These ideas are not new ones, yet I am so very aware of myself and the imperfections that can keep me from fulfilling God's plans for me if I am not daily on my guard.  Thankfully, I have a perfect Savior who gives me the grace to make these efforts into realities.

Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak! -Matthew 26:41

8 comments:

  1. Love it, Sarah! I wanted to be able to "like" each statement you made. I really like your "do not do" list, and I can steal every bit of it for myself. Thank you for sharing and reminding us of the importance of being intentional about things we want to do AND things we don't want to do. It is so true that I cannot do it alone - only by God's grace and through His strength. Love you girl! And I would love if we could help hold each other accountable when it comes to these things. Happy 2012!!!! :) BTW - I think you already do a pretty great job when it comes to these things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of things not to do, sometimes they need more attention than the things we want to do or should be doing. Because sometimes the stuff we shouldn't be doing gets in the way. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great things to be on a don't do list! :) I really need to pay close attention to #3!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this idea of {not-to-do} --- :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are great! i need to NOT do all of these things and i have been praying a lot about the first one. the way you put that really put it into a much need perspective. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such lovely, inspiring goals. i would really like to procrastinate less when it comes to people as well, it is so important to reach out to others and see how you can help them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this verse. I enjoyed reading what you DON'T want to do instead of the typical resolutions. food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I loved each not to do item on the list! This list was also a great reminder for me...thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your words make my heart smile.