*****I HAVE MOVED!*****
*****Find me here: sarahannrogers.com*****

Welcome! I'm so glad you've found your way here and hope you enjoy your time connecting.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Office Oddities

(You may call me the queen of lists, since I seem to make them all of the time.  I make lists for my lists.)

1. M&Ms.  I have a bowl of them at my desk, which is in the lobby area.  I mostly keep these so that people will come by and say hi.  I'm sneaky like that.  However, I have noticed that the peanut are by far more popular than the original.  This puts me in a conundrum.  Do I keep only regular M&Ms so that people still come but don't eat bukoos of my candy, or do I keep the peanut so that people will stay longer? (I know I should be focusing on actual work during these times, but it's good to take a break...)  What do you think?
2. Music.  When I first started working, they told me that I could play music for the office, which I rather enjoy (thank you, Pandora).  However, I quickly noticed that I could only play when our worship leaders were not in the office, because they are always playing music in some way or another.  They do not tell me when they will start this.  I only know because I start to think my song sounds funny until I realize that's because there are two or three other songs being played!

3. Greenery.  The person who sat at this desk before me had a plant on a shelf that I have basically killed off with neglect.  I'm thinking, do we really need a live plant?  Would a plastic one be alright?  I have no green thumb.
So it doesn't look like this yet, but I'm anticipating...

4. Germs.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a pretty tough cold.  Since then, I have bought Clorox wipes and I use them all of the time.  I'm a little paranoid over it.  I just realized yesterday, after wiping my phone, that I'm the only one that uses it.  I know I need to relax, and I'm sure I will soon.  I just like the knowledge that those germs are gone, and I killed them.  I'm a regular germ and plant murderer.

I'm sure you all have much odder oddities in your office.  Just so you know, we can all be weird together.

22 comments:

  1. haha. I like the peanut M&M contemplation. hilarious. ;)

    -makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for the peanut m&m's, but then again, I'm one of the people that scarfs them up whenever I come by! Although I'm not too picky either way :) just thankful for a treat! haha

    And I am definitely all for a fake plant...some plants look so real you can't even tell! And then you don't have to worry about silly things like water and sunlight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. right now in my office - which i work with all men - 2 of them are OBSESSED with weight - i swear it's worse then women sometimes here!

    *kiss kiss*
    Erika
    ~Tiptoe Butterfly~

    ReplyDelete
  4. OoooOOh I want to keep m&m's at my desk! Must find a candy bowl...

    And I often lysol my entire desk/sitting area down. Safety first.

    Wish I could play music here. It's deathly quiet which would be great if I could take a nap once in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say the M&M problem depends on your budget. If you can afford to buy more often, buy the peanut, if not, buy the plain. Actually, buy whatever you like best! I use to keep sunflower seed pretzels at my desk. People liked them but would only grab a few and if I had chocolate sitting there, I would have eaten it all myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that you make lists for your lists : )
    I say go for regular. People will still come by because they know they get a handful of candy but they won't linger so you can still get your work done! Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think you should switch it up every time you run out. keep them guessing and coming back. that is so funny about clorox wiping your own phone! ;) love your blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i almost always kill my plants too... you should try a peace lily... they're impossible to kill!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. even better peanut butter m & m's. put those out and see what happens. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh goodness, I love both types of M&M's. :D And yay for Pandora!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're conundrum w/ the M&M's is funny. you know, one of my teammates has like 5 different kinds of M&M dispensers at her desk and she fills them with plain, peanut, and PEANUT BUTTER (my fave)! the dispensers range from slots, an M&M person's hand that you pull down, and candy dispenser types. i always eat her M&Ms, like every day. i think i need to go buy some for her so she isn't always the one buying them hehe!! M&Ms are such a great work snack!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! How cute...music wars! I'm germaphobic too. Just so you don't feel lonely about that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I have been to Paris! Twice actually! I lived in Europe for a year so it was pretty easy to get to =)

    And I'm all about the Peanut M&Ms too! But if you are such a germ-a-phobe, maybe put out two jars so that those who want peanut M&Ms aren't rifling through the plain?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would say regular M&M's, b/c then you still get the break to talk to people but then your candy doesn't run out as fast. and I think plastic plants are perfectly acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We keep candy up at reception too! Not usually things that people can get their fingers on. Germy! Use things with wrappers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, since I'm a germaphobe as well, I wouldn't eat any candy just sitting out where everyone's hands go picking through them..they'd have to be individually wrapped! Ew, I sound like such a diva saying that..

    Artificial plants are a great idea! I keep some in my dorm room..they add some nice greenery and are lowww maintenance, of course. My roomies make fun of me, but all of their real plants died. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. paper cranes...I know it's weird, but I love making paper cranes out of the scrap pieces of paper around my desk. I don't want to be some kind of weirdo crane horder though, so I throw most of them away after I make them. It get's even weirder though...I have to disassemble them before they go in the trash. If I see a cute little crane face staring up at me from the bin, I'll feel guilty, take him out, and set him on my desk. They have to be taken apart first!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Makes perfect sense to me. Odd is the new normal. :) I'd go with the peanut m&m's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my...peanut all the way! just because I know that's what I would want to eat. those are my favorite. of course as a teacher I'm using clorox wipes constantly...wiping down tables is part of our pack-up routine. I love to kill germs too! so your plant murder plot is pretty funny...poor little guy...has no idea what he's gotten himself into. The one time I do have a green thumb is with house plants. I have a plant that has been in my classroom for two years now and has also lived at my house in the summers. it's a survivor. hope for your sake that your plant isn't like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sarah you are so funny! I am a plant murderer too. We bought a big plant for our porch and two weeks later it died. lol I feel your pain. And I vote for regular M&M's. I had some of them earliar this week when I came to the office. haha. But then again, I don't like peanuts. lol But it's not about me!

    ReplyDelete

Your words make my heart smile.